Reminiscing my First Visit to Siquijor

I first visited the beautiful island of Siquijor in 2008. Prior to that visit, I have heard mostly horror stories of witchcraft that is normally associated with the island. I wasn't concerned though as I was going to attend a family reunion and I figured family takes care of each other. 





I traveled alone. First by bus from Cebu City to get to the southern part of Cebu province where I'll hop on a boat on Bato, Santander en route to Tandayag or Tampi Wharf in Amlan, Negros Oriental. From Tampi, I again hopped on a bus headed for Dumaguete City. Upon arrival in Dumaguete City, I hailed a tricycle for the Port of Dumaguete to buy tickets for a boat that will finally take me to the mystic island of Siquijor. This trip took me a little over 12 hours, I left Cebu City at around 2 a.m. and arrived in Siquijor a little past 2 p.m. of the same day. But I'm not one to complain, specially if the first view that greets you upon arrival is the one pictured below.

Siquijor Island Province Philippines
View upon arrival in Siquijor

And then upon exiting the Siquijor port, a century-old church greets a history buff. How else can I complain that I am tired?

St. Francis of Assissi Church in Siquijor, Siquijor
St. Francis of Assissi Church in Siquijor, Siquijor
Siquijor Island Province in Central Visayas Philippines
Belfry of the Saint Francis of Assissi Catholic Church in Siquijor, Siquijor


I stayed at an uncle's place in Tapon, Canal, Siquijor, Siquijor. The view from my room is refreshing, a natural forest before my eyes.


View from my room in Siquijor
View from my room in Siquijor

Siquijor is quite a small island and everything seems to be of easy reach. In fact, one can circumnavigate Siquijor island in about 2 hours. This was something I did on my 3rd and 4th visits. I just can't get enough.


We also have heard about the honesty store in Batanes. In Siquijor, it is common to see stores unattended. Honesty is expected and locals are keen to follow this tradition of honor. You take something from the store and leave your payment. It's as easy as that. I was amazed at what I saw.

Food was also something that highlighted my first visit to Siquijor. We cooked a lot since a family reunion is always cause for a celebration. What stood out was the freshness of the seafood in the island. We had saang (spider conch shell), kulabutan (a type of squid), and guisadong kulabutan. I ate the kulabutan raw with just salt and vinegar, what my uncle calls kinilaw Binisaya nga kulabutan.


Siquijor Island Province Philippines
Kinilaw Binisaya nga kulabutan in Siquijor




The rest of the kulabutan was sauteed (guisadong kulabutan). It was cooked in a huge wok placed on top of a fire outdoors.

Siquijor Island Province Philippines
Guisadong kulabutan Siquijor


The saang was boiled in seawater, a common method of cooking seashells in Siquijor. Siquijodnons call this recipe saang sa alat.

Siquijor Island Province Philippines
Saang in a basket in Siquijor



Siquijor Island Province Philippines
Saang meat in Siquijor





We also had lechon roasted in my uncle's backyard.

Siquijor Island Province Philippines
Roasting a whole pig (lechon) in my uncle's backyard in Siquijor


A healthier dish was binas-oy, which was pork stew with chayote slices. Cooking was also done outdoors.

Siquijor Island Province Philippines
Cooking binas-oy in Siquijor

When all the food was cooked on the day of the family reunion, we then headed to a simple place of gathering between the barangays of Calalinan and Tapon in the town of Siquijor, the provincial capital of the island province of Siquijor. It was by a public beach. But you wouldn't believe how amazing the views are for a public beach in Siquijor. Check the photos that follow.




Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor
Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor


Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor
Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor


Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor
Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor


Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor
Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor


Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor
Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor

Crystal clear waters at Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquior
Crystal clear waters at Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquior

And when the above photos do not impress you still, how about the abundance of marine life in ankle-deep waters? While it is amazing to behold marine life in their natural habitat, extra care must also be done to avoid injuries when coming into contact with some marine species such as sea urchins and jellyfish.


Starfish at Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor
Starfish at Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor

Seashells at Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor
Seashells at Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor

Taub-taub (jellyfish) at Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor
Taub-taub (jellyfish) at Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor

Saluwaki (sea urchin) shells at Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor
Saluwaki (sea urchin) shells at Canal Beach in Siquijor, Siquijor

It was an amazing first visit to the place they call island of fire. It piqued my curiosity that I would make 3 more visits to date after that initial trip. I just fell in love with the island's mystic charm, quiet and slow-paced way of life, natural beauty, and friendly people. I realized after at least 4 visits, there is still much to discover about Siquijor.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment